May 23, 2020

Zoleo Satellite Text Messaging Device

I have spent a decent amount of my free time debating on whether or not it would be necessary for me to invest in a device that would enable me to communicate with my wife and loved ones while I am hunting the back country. One of the major deterrents for purchasing such a device was price. The Garmin inReach Mini and Delorme/Garmin inReach handheld have been readily available for years. I was also almost ready to pull the trigger on the BivyStick Satelite communication device.

All of the mentioned devices approached the $300.00 range for purchase and they also required subscriptions for service. I had previously owned a Spot 3 device and it failed to send a check in message to my wife resulting in a couple nights of tears and funeral plans. After that experience, she  insisted that I needed a 2 way device so that I could confirm that she had received my messages.

I carefully considered the existing devices for purchase and then one night while browsing Instagram the Zoleo device appeared on my social feed.  I was astonished to see that the device was listed for $199. After seeking reviews I noticed that there was only 1 review on Amazon at the time. After careful consideration, I concluded that the difference in price between the Zoleo and the other devices was enough to send it through the check out process on Amazon. 

Subscribe to receive updates from The Glassing Tree, enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

One of the major features that sold me on the Zoleo device was the fact that it had buttons to check in and call "SOS" in the event that my cellphone became compromised. 

When the device arrived, I downloaded the Zoleo app and I was pleasantly surprised to observe how quickly the device connected to my cellphone. I got online and entered my credit card information to start my Subscription. Zoleo charges $40 to activate your account and then from there you can select one of their three plans:$20/ Basic, which enables the device to send and receive 25 messages;$35/In Touch, which enables to the device to send and receive 250 messages; $50 Unlimited, which enables unlimited messages. The Basic and In Touch plans allow users to pay $.50 for any additional messages that get transmitted in excess of their plans limitations. All plans include Satellite SOS alerts and GEOS SOS Monitoring Services. 

Upon powering up the device I discovered that the device has an audio component to it and it sounds off at activation. When you send messages the device will first determine if you have either Wifi or Cellphone reception to economize your precious limited satellite messages. If a message must be sent via satellite the device has four lights to indicate transmission and message arrival. The Zoleo app is amazingly simple and it displays all the information that anyone would ever need. It provides battery Status in both bars and numerical percentages, and satellite connectivity. The contacts in my cellphone automatically transferred over to the Zoleo app and I could instantly text any of my contacts. Upon sending my first message in Airplane mode, I was pleasantly surprised discovering that the device plays an audible tone indicating that the message was successfully sent and received. There are green checks that display when a message has been received by the recipient. 

In my opinion this device does 100% of what I would ask of it to do. On a recent bear hunt I was able to send and receive messages from the location at the center of the image amongst the rockslide.

Using this device is as easy as turning on the device and opening up an app and sending text messages. 

I would like to add that Zoleo has not sponsored this blog submission and I am not compensated in anyway for providing this review. I just feel that it is a great product with enough merit to write about. 

Popular Posts