Nov 27, 2020

Spreadsheet Updated for 2021

Subscribe to receive updates from The Glassing Tree, enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

I have completed the resident and non-resident updates for 2021 to the Utah Drawing Odds Spreadsheet.  This will be the final year of the spreadsheet.  I originally built the spreadsheet back in 2006... so this is the 15th iteration of it... and it has evolved into something far more detailed and complex than anything I would have imagined when I first sat down in front of my laptop.  

Over the last several years I have watched the proliferation of other odds applications and seen their popularity grow.  The impact that those applications has definitely been felt, I have experienced a significant decrease in the amount of traffic I see on this site in regards to the statistical analysis via the spreadsheet that I have always offered.  Over the last several months I wondered when or if I should update the spreadsheet for 2021.  I decided to track the amount of time spent doing the data entry and reformatting.  Well.. I found that based upon my wage at my "every day job" I could purchase GoHunt subscriptions ($149/year) for myself, my wife, and each of my six children... TWICE... for the number of hours that it takes to produce this spreadsheet.

The aforementioned GoHunt application has definitely had an impact on the traffic I've seen.  As the popularity and reach of their application and service has grown they have done of phenomenal job of providing much more data than I can.  I gauge my reach on the numbers that I see through an Utah big game application cycle... I saw pageview and traffic numbers increase steadily every year from 2013 thru 2018, but 2019 and 2020 saw 70% decreases in traffic over the Utah application period.  This tells me that my spreadsheet just isn't as unique a tool as it once was.  But, even though I've seen a decrease in traffic specifically during the application cycle I have seen a marked increase in traffic overall related to all of the other content that I have posted.

Let me pull back the curtain and give you some insight into the metrics of The Glassing Tree blog.  The Glassing Tree blog was first published in 2013 after I pulled plug on a UtahBigGameOdds.com website that an old high school buddy was hosting for me at no cost.  Since that time I have taken the opportunity to share my hunting and fishing adventures here and as of today the blog as received nearly 66,000 pageviews.  I am proud of that and I'm proud of the information and stories that I've been able to share.

Ironically, the most popular posts of all time on The Glassing Tree blog have nothing to do with the spreadsheet.  In fact, the most popular post on the blog is one that I made Mar 26, 2019 about a little DIY gun vise... that post alone has nearly 1,200 views!  A series of articles about Point Creep was fairly well received with 2 of those 5 articles being in the top 5 posts for the blog.  And I hope that you have all enjoyed the hunt recap/diary posts that I have shared over the years... most recently as my children have gotten old enough to begin hunting I have shared their stories and those have been especially well received.

The plan for The Glassing Tree blog will be to continue to share hunt diaries/stories, scouting and preparation, DIY projects.  I recently purchased the cabin that my grandfather built 40 years ago and I plan on doing some remodeling to make it more comfortable for my family... and we all know that remodeling is a journey with many twists and turns!  But to be honest with everyone, I would love any feedback or suggestions... what content has been most enjoyable to you?  What should I do more of?  Less of?  Send me an email (utahbiggameodds@gmail.com) or leave a comment.





Anyway... the spreadsheet is available through Google Drive by clicking the image above. It is necessary to create or log in to your Google account to access the download. I have found that the spreadsheet does not have full functionality when manipulated in Google Sheets so I recommend downloading it and saving it to your computer and manipulating it using Excel. See the images below, the best way to do this is to open the link in Google Sheets and click the "Download" arrow at the top right. A download dialogue box will open at the bottom left, when that shows the download to be 100% compete click on the dialogue box and then click "Open". The Spreadsheet will open in Excel and you can then save it wherever you'd like on your personal computer for use offline whenever you would like.


Popular Posts