Jul 18, 2018

New trail cameras this year

Since my buddy Cody drew the single non-resident late muzzleloader deer tag for the area that we hunt, we decided that we needed to expand our trail camera capabilities. When it comes to trail cameras I'm a cheapskate and refuse to spend much more than about $50 for a camera that has a high likelihood of getting vandalized or stolen at some point, so I spent a good bit of time scouring Amazon for a decent budget trail camera. In the end I ended up purchasing three Primos Bulletproof 2 cameras.

I set them up in the backyard and let the camera do it's thing one evening as the kids ran around and played in the yard. Honestly, the pictures exceeded my expectations.

On Amazon, there was a review of these cameras that described how to make your own security boxes from an air conditioner fuse box. I've liked the CamLock boxes that I use with my older Primos TruthCam 35 cameras... not because it keeps the humans out, but rather keeps the cameras protected from those pesky cow elk that seem to get especially curious and have a tendency to get physical with trail cameras. So I bought three of the air conditioner fuse boxes that the Amazon reviewer recommended and went to work.

I used a 1" hole saw bit to cut the smaller bottom hole then a 2 1/2" hole saw bit for the large hole. With an oscillating hand tool I squared up the bottom hole... and viola!!! Three custom trail camera boxes!!!

After picking up a package of padlocks I was ready to hike them into the spots that I had selected while E-scouting on Google Earth.

Popular Posts