Jan 6, 2018

Point Creep Variable #3 - "The Unit Jumper"

The third variable that I would consider is what I call “The Unit Jumper.” There are a number of factors that contribute to the unit jumping phenomenon…
I read of considerable frustration as I visit various western hunting forums with the western point systems and I read of a growing number of hunters who are looking to burn their points sooner for lower tier tags rather than continue to build points and hold out for an upper echelon tag. As these applicants shift their focus from top tier to lower tier units they contribute to point creep.
For example, let’s say that I’ve been applying for the Beaver, West early any weapon hunt unsuccessfully for many years and in 2018 I’ll be entering the drawing with 18 points. Looking at my spreadsheet, based on the 2017 applicant pool with 18 points I would to need to apply for 25 to 30 more years before I know I’d be guaranteed a tag!!! (Unless of course I’m one of the lucky guys that draws a random tag.) I come to the realization that I’d rather burn my 18 points now, hunt sooner rather than later… I’m not getting any younger, my family situation is good this year, I will have sufficient vacation or leave time from work this year… I want to draw THIS YEAR. Turning back to my spreadsheet I see a unit that I’m very familiar with because I enjoy spending time there doing other outdoor activities outside of hunting season like hiking and fishing. I also see that it only took 15 points to draw a bonus tag there in 2018, my 18 points would definitely put me at the top of the heap. So in 2018 I decide instead to apply for the Plateau, Fishlake/Thousand Lake early any weapon tag. Bringing my 18 points over to the Fishlake unit from the Beaver unit does have on impact on the Fishlake applicants with fewer than 18 points.
Applicants can also “jump” units and have a similar effect on point creep by applying for the same unit but by selecting a different weapon type. Let’s assume that I’ve been applying for the Wasatch Mountains early any weapon hunt and I’ll enter the 2018 application with 11 points. From my spreadsheet, I would estimate that it would take 4 to 6 years for me to draw one of the guaranteed bonus tags… and like in the above example I’m done waiting. I really like the Wasatch unit though, I know the area well, I know I could scout it often due to its proximity to my home, and I’ve helped other guys with hunts there in the past so I’d like to still hunt the Wasatch unit. From my spreadsheet I see that with 11 points I should draw the 2018 muzzleloader tag… I’ve got a muzzleloader, I haven’t shot it in a while and it’d be fun to dig it out of the back of the safe, wipe the dust off, and put a new scope on it (since powered scopes are now legal). So I decide to switch from any weapon to muzzleloader with my application for 2018. Bringing my 11 points over from the early any weapon to the muzzleloader also has an impact on the muzzleloader applicants with fewer than 11 points.
Another reason guys unit jump is commonly referred to as “hot spotting.” Every year different magazines and publications put out lists of the top units across the west. As applicants read these publications they decide to jump from unit to unit based upon these recommendations. Application services like Cabela’s TAGS also contributes to this as they bombard specific units with applications on a yearly basis.

(All the examples I’ve listed here are purely hypothetical scenarios to demonstrate the point.)

It is a good thing though that we have the freedom and ability to change our selections on a year to year basis. Our priorities change, our situations change, and our expectations change and we have the opportunity to modify our selections on an annual basis.

PREVIOUS: Point Creep Variable #2 - "The Point Buyer"
NEXT: Point Creep Variable #4 - "The Absent Applicant"

Popular Posts