Mar 2, 2019

Idaho Wolf Hunting

Posted by Nambaster, Inc.

Subscribe to the Utah Big Game Odds blog, enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

The purpose of this post is to share my opinion and my experiences hunting wolves in Idaho. As a managed big game species in the State of Idaho, wolves are hunted by permit and season. This is an opportunity that is often overlooked and rarely fulfilled. I am thankful for the opportunity to pursue this species locally, without the need to venture to Alaska or Canada. For residents, up to 5 wolf tags can be purchased for $11.50 ($13.75 without price lock) each. Nonresidents are required to purchase a hunting license at $154.75 and up to 5 wolf tags can then be purchased at $31.75 each. Wolf, bear, and cougar tags are inexpensive "add on" opportunities for those non-residents coming to Idaho and already purchasing OTC deer or elk tags. I originally purchased wolf tags one at a time feeling that I would only find wolves incidentally while focusing on hunting other species. After punching my first tag, I have since concluded that the extra cost of keeping multiple tags on hand is beneficial. I have also learned that specifically hunting wolves, rather than incidentally hunting wolves is the most productive time to line up your shots.

Without being too specific, I would like to share some experiences that I have had with wolves in certain regions of Idaho.

Hells Canyon (Units 11, 13, 18): Wolf populations have grown in this region significantly. I was drawn to this unit because of the ruggedness of the terrain. There is also a lot of public access. I drew a bull elk tag for this region in 2017 and during my time scouting I crossed several sets of wolf tracks. Once the hunt actually started, a pack of wolves were howling in the evenings. After a fresh snow a pair of wolf tracks ran along the ridge top where I was in pursuit of a herd of elk. As I was driving to a location a lone set of wolf tracks ran along side the road. The wolf bedded down 10 yards off the side of the road and ducked into a thicket of trees. I made an attempt to call the wolf in but I was unsuccessful.

Unit 39: Identified as the go to unit for residents of Boise, its proximity to the largest human population in the state and stories of overcrowding tarnishes its reputation. As a long time Utah resident I can assure you that Idaho knows nothing of crowded hunts! In this Unit I was watching a herd of wintering elk, 25 bull elk bedded down in a small spine of sagebrush, when the entire herd stood and looked in one direction. With their noses testing the air they trotted off uphill. I noticed two grey color phase wolves in the direction that the bulls had been casting their glares. The wolf hunting season was open, but I did not have my rifle on me. I was 8 miles from the nearest road so I just sat and observed the wolves continue to pursue the bulls. I was so caught up in the moment I did not think to snap a picture, unfortunately all that I have is an image from the track of the larger wolf.

Salmon River Region (Units 21, 21A, 28, 36B): This region is rumored to be the where the original pack was released. It is also were I had my first wolf encounter. I had been riding a four-wheeler up to a popular glassing spot where I could often observe bears sunning themselves in the spring. The snow had not melted off of the roads and large drifts made certain sections impassable, I ended up abandoning the ATV in a large snow drift to make the rest of the trip on foot. I sat at my overlook hoping to see a spring bear in the sun. A pack of 6 wolves crossed an avalanche chute and sauntered over a saddle. As I was returning to the stranded ATV a set of lone wolf tracks were inside my boot tracks up until the wolf must have been watching me on the cliff as I observed the pack of 6. It then dropped off the road to avoid ever being seen. As I met the head of the tracks I raced to the edge of the road and caught a glimpse of a grey color phase wolf as it looked back at me and jetted into cover.

Three years later a good friend of mine returned to the same location early in the spring, well before the bear hunt was to begin, in an effort to relocate the pack. As he was going up the road he observed a large white color phase wolf racing across the same avalanche chute. He was able to fire a shot, but did not connect with the large male.


Middlefork Region (Units 20A, 26, 27): This region is nearly all roadless with some access near Stanley, Idaho. It is rugged in all aspects. It can be floated by raft, flown by bush plane, and approached with a jetboat. Its remoteness provides solitude. There is no cell phone service, satellite communication is highly recommended. Every time that I am in this unit I swear that I am never coming back. When I return home my muscles are aching and I struggle to walk without a limp, but then 2 weeks later I am making plans to return. I was able to find a wolf in this unit.

Elk City Zone (Units 14, 15, 16): Rumored to be the location where the first legally hunted wolf was taken. I have hunted this zone only incidentally while hunting deer. Wolves could be heard at night. Tracks were found in pine thickets. While looking for deer I located the remains of a wolf that had been shot and skinned.

My hope is that wolf hunting in the State of Idaho is here to stay. Very few outfitters specifically offer wolf hunts. An individual equipped with a 4x4 vehicle and 3-4 days would have reasonable opportunity to find wolf tracks and catch a glimpse of these amazing creatures.

I do not hunt wolves out of spite. I do not wish them ill with a desire for them to be eradicated from the face of the earth. They are beautiful animals and entirely different from domestic dogs. This is why I look forward to continuing to hunt them. Being in their presence and soaking in the pursuit of their habits and nature is part of the experience that I cherish. I would not support the prospect of eliminating them from the State of Idaho. Hunters have proven to be ineffective at reducing populations in Idaho. The species has been able to multiply and consistently grow creating opportunity for hunters. There is a current imbalance of predation in several of Idaho's elk units which creates a descending trend in ungulate recruitment. I would support an extension of the current seasons which are allocated by current hunting regulations. This is a rare and unique opportunity which offers a snapshot of history enabling hunters to experience the interactions only described in the past.

Popular Posts