Jan 4, 2019

The Best Bang for Your Buck: Idaho OTC Bear!!!

As a graveyard shift forklift driver working at a local dairy my funds were limited. At the time I was a father of 3 living in Utah and attending college obtaining my undergrad. With my limited resources, I still managed to spring for a $154.75 non-resident hunting license in the State of Idaho. Along with the hunting license, I purchased a $186.00 non-resident black bear tag.

My intentions were to hunt black bear in the spring and if I was unable to fill my tag, I would return in the fall. I had allotted four days to drive north and spot & stalk a black bear. I joined a few friends, only one of them had actually harvested a black bear. Unfortunately my first ever non-resident tag went unfilled and I was never able to return in the fall in pursuit of this new species.

If only I knew then what I know now…

Life happens, and three years ago I became a resident of Idaho. I can happily say that I have now harvested 3 bears in 3 years. My first year, I harvested a small yearling boar that was jet black in color (left). I could not believe my eyes when I actually observed a bear in the wild for the second time in my life. The little boar made the fatal mistake of climbing up on a rocky outcropping to take a second look at me while I dropped my backpack and shouldered my rifle. My second bear was a 5 foot cinnamon colored sow (center). My 3rd bear was harvested this year and he is my largest bear to date. He is a dark chocolate boar with a white blaze on his chest and I have measured his skull to be close to 19” (right).


The optimistic outlook of spot and stalk black bears in the State of Idaho became a reality for me. My coworker was not exaggerating when he shared stories of spotting and stalking these mysterious creatures. Hunting over a bait site would require an unrealistic level of commitment of time and patience. 2 of the bears that I have harvested were located within reduced price units. Reduced price bear tags can be purchased by non-residents for $41.75, with a second bear tag also available for purchase at the same price in reduced price units.

In Utah, bear tags are issued on through a bonus point drawing... I would argue that Idaho's OTC opportunity rivals that of some of Utah’s premium units. Idaho does offer tags through a drawing for three "controlled" hunts (similar to Utah's limited entry) which boast high populations of bears in optimal habitat for spot & stalk hunting. Another huge benefit to Idaho’s OTC bear tag is the generous seasons which are often split between spring and fall with one tag being good for both spring and fall seasons.

Remember to subscribe to The Glassing Tree blog to recieved notifications when we post up something new!!!

Popular Posts